Postdoctoral Fellow in Machine Learning
- Tampa, FL
- Moffitt at Magnolia Campus (MCC)
- Integ Math Onc-Staff
- Full Time - Day Shift - Mon-Fri
- Req #: 32942
At Moffitt Cancer Center, we come face-to-face with cancer every day, but we also see courage. And it inspires us to be the safest and best place for cancer care – to bring greater hope to every patient we serve. It’s why we’ve been continually named One of the Top Places to Work in the Tampa Bay Area. As the only National Cancer Institute-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center based in Florida, Moffitt employs some of the best and brightest minds from around the world. Moffitt is the leading cancer hospital in both Florida and the Southeast and has been nationally ranked by U.S. News & World Report since 1999. Because working at Moffitt is both a career and a mission: to contribute to the prevention and cure of cancer. Join a dedicated, diverse and inclusive team of over 7,000 to be a part of the Courageous future we envision.
Postdoctoral Fellow in Machine Learning
Tumor evolution proceeds at a rapid pace. Drug development does not. In order for cancer therapy to achieve a durable response over years rather than months, it must "evolve" as quickly as the tumor does. In contrast to a cell's DNA, its RNA - the transcriptome - is a highly dynamic machinery which operates within ranges, orders of magnitudes wider than those of the genome. Its role of shaping clonal evolution and implementing a cell's response to its environment is undoubted, yet nowhere close to understood. We seek applications from a computer scientist with a PhD and strong background in machine learning to develop general metrics of cell fitness using supervised machine learning approaches. This project is part of our NIH-awarded K99/R00.
· We develop software solutions that enable data-driven, clinical, decision-making by providing oncologists and specialized tumor-boards with patient-specific genomic information. Executing this mission will rely on a long-term synergy between various evolving perspectives on tumor populations and on an interdisciplinary effort to sharpen these perspectives.
The Ideal Candidate:
· Experience with machine learning approaches, especially supervised methods such as Bayesian MKL, deep neural networks (Bayesian neural nets, LSTM, convolutional) is required. Experience with PyTorch or TensorFlow is also needed. Prior work with very large datasets, such as CIFAR-10 and imaging data pre-processing is preferred but not required. Experience with Java and OO programing concepts is also a plus.
· Successful candidate will work with a powerful combination of single-cell RNA sequencing data and live-cell imaging to learn various aspects about a clone's fitness from its transcriptome.
· Successful candidate will work closely together with mathematicians towards steering the fitness landscape of coexisting cancer clones in a systematic, directed fashion.
Credentials and Qualifications:
· PhD in computer science
How to Apply: Please send your CV and cover letter to Dr. Noemi Andor at Noemi.Andor@Moffitt.org
Equal Employment Opportunity
Moffitt Cancer Center is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, or protected veteran or disabled status. We seek candidates whose skills, and personal and professional experience, have prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. Moffitt endeavors to make moffitt.org/careers accessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please contact one of the Human Resources receptionists by phone at 813-745-7899 or by email at HRReceptionists@moffitt.org. This contact information is for accommodation requests only and cannot be used to inquire about the status of applications. If you’d like more information on your EEO rights under the law, please click here.