DIRECTOR PLANNED GIVING
- Tampa, FL
- Moffitt Business Center at Intellicenter (MBC)
- Full Time - Day Shift - M-F, 8-5
- Req #: 36883
At Moffitt Cancer Center, we come face-to-face with cancer every day, but we also see courage. And it inspires us to be the safest and best place for cancer care – to bring greater hope to every patient we serve. It’s why we’ve been continually named One of the Top Places to Work in the Tampa Bay Area. As the only National Cancer Institute-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center based in Florida, Moffitt employs some of the best and brightest minds from around the world. Moffitt is the leading cancer hospital in both Florida and the Southeast and has been nationally ranked by U.S. News & World Report since 1999. Because working at Moffitt is both a career and a mission: to contribute to the prevention and cure of cancer. Join a dedicated, diverse and inclusive team of over 7,000 to be a part of the Courageous future we envision.
Director of Planned Giving
- The Director of Planned Giving is a critical frontline fundraising position within the Foundation. The Director of Planned Giving reports to the AVP Philanthropy and works closely with them to formulate and implement strategies and planning to maximize philanthropic revenues through the full range of planned giving vehicles and instruments. They will lead and motivate a growing team of experienced planned giving fundraisers, and successfully manage their own portfolio of individual prospects.
- The Director will play a central role in the growth of the Foundation in the next three years, both in terms of growing planned giving revenues and strengthening team capacity. They will work with the AVP to establish an effective team for the future. They will manage the individual performance of team members, by setting annual objectives, developing tactics, and tracking progress to meet ambitious goals. The will ensure a healthy pipeline of major and leadership gift prospects is always in place by developing a strong multiyear roadmap for solicitations. They will ensure metrics are in place for the team to track progress and course correct where necessary. They will bring a depth of knowledge and best practice to the role to ensure that the full range of planned giving vehicles are made available to donors including, charitable remainder and lead trusts, charitable gift annuities, beneficiary designations, bequests, gift of property and securities and other key instruments.
- They will stay fully abreast of changes in tax legislation and other legislation impacting estate planning and philanthropic giving, and maintain robust forms of communication to their team and others on such changes.
- The will possess a strong up to date technical knowledge of all planned gift vehicles and be able to tutor other members of the team to gain a basic understanding of planned giving to enhance capacity across the team.
- They will oversee the creation of marketing materials and appropriate channels to advertise planned giving at Moffitt.
- They will be a positive, goal oriented professional, with the ability to work effectively in a complex decentralized organization.
The Foundation has partnered with Lindauer to conduct this search. Please see the prospectus and contact information of the consultant leading this search:
- Lead a growing team of experienced fundraisers to meet ambitious revenue goals.
- Work with the AVP to recruit and retain the Planned Giving team.
- Work with AVP to develop robust plans, that include tactics, timelines and action steps to meet multi-year goals, and provide metrics and performance measures.
- Devise longer term strategies that are consistent with best practice in the field, including external communications strategies.
- Maintain focus on goals throughout the year and set an ambitious pace for achieving them. Closely manage team performance throughout the year.
- Develop and manage own portfolio of prospects and donors.
- Assist in the swift development of proposals for gift opportunities, ensuring the right consultation and clearance of proposal content.
- Ensure policies and processes are at best practice standards and up to date and communicate legislative changes to key constituents.
- Manage up with timely communication and involvement of the President and AVP in key decision making for the team.
- Conduct annual performance reviews and create annual plans for the team.
- Work effectively with physicians, researchers and center leaders to develop trusting relationships and regular connection.
- Ensure the liaison system is robust and working well to maximize gifts in specific centers of excellence and disease areas.
Credentials and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Minimum of 10 years in planned giving fundraising, with progressive management responsibilities in a Higher Ed or Healthcare organization.
- Minimum of 5 years managing a fundraising team of no less than 2-3 planned giving fundraisers.
- Excellent team management skills and experience, including the ability to manage all aspects of an effective fundraising program, to mentor and motivate a team, be a good decision maker and communicator, and to develop and execute robust plans to meet goals.Proven track record of initiating, steering and closing planned gifts on a consistent basis.Deep understanding of the fundraising cycle including identification, qualification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship and managing a large portfolio of prospects at differing stages in this cycle.
- Deep technical expertise in the field of Planned Giving.
- Commitment to building a strong culture of philanthropy throughout the organization, with tact and diplomacy.
- Experience working with other development teams to maximize their own team's performance, specifically Research and Prospect management, Donor Relations, Gift Administration, the CEO's office and other key Center constituents.
- Experience preparing budgets, reconciling gift data with accounting, and other financial tasks related to the IFG Program.
- Experience in recruiting and retaining staff.
- Demonstrated knowledge of organizational mission and direction; demonstrated knowledge of fundraising practices, policies, and procedures.
- Master’s degree
- Technical experience in database and system tools
- Experience in Raiser’s Edge software preferred
Equal Employment Opportunity
Moffitt Cancer Center is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, or protected veteran or disabled status. We seek candidates whose skills, and personal and professional experience, have prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. Moffitt endeavors to make moffitt.org/careers accessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please contact one of the Human Resources receptionists by phone at 813-745-7899 or by email at HRReceptionists@moffitt.org. This contact information is for accommodation requests only and cannot be used to inquire about the status of applications. If you’d like more information on your EEO rights under the law, please click here.