At Moffitt Cancer Center, we come face-to-face with cancer every day, but we also see courage. And it inspires us to be the safest and best place for cancer care – to bring greater hope to every patient we serve. It’s why we’ve been continually named One of the Top Places to Work in the Tampa Bay Area. As the only National Cancer Institute-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center based in Florida, Moffitt employs some of the best and brightest minds from around the world. Moffitt is the leading cancer hospital in both Florida and the Southeast and has been nationally ranked by U.S. News & World Report since 1999. Because working at Moffitt is both a career and a mission: to contribute to the prevention and cure of cancer. Join a dedicated, diverse and inclusive team of over 7,000 to be a part of the Courageous future we envision.
H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center is internationally recognized for our focus on personalized cancer care and translational research. The mission of Moffitt is clear, focused, and fully stated in nine words, “To contribute to the prevention and cure of cancer.” With a tradition of excellence that began with the first patient admission in 1986, dedicated Moffitt physicians, scientists, and staff members have remained committed to excellence in an atmosphere characterized by kindness, caring, and hope.
- Based in Pathology, the Pathologist Assistant provides assistance and support to the attending pathologists, resident/fellows, and other hospital staff. Primary duties center on the practice of pathology and involve assisting in the procurement and processing of surgical pathology specimens. This includes specimen receipt and accessioning, grossing, frozen sections, autopsy service, equipment maintenance, works with Tissue Core, touch imprint preparation, and assist with resident orientation.
- Efficient management of all processes and procedures within the Frozen/Gross Room.
- Key to the overall processing of a patient's case, and the pathologist's ability to accurately provide the timely diagnosis necessary in guiding patient treatment decisions.
The Ideal Candidate:
- Demonstrates a high degree of technical competence, intrapersonal skills, attention to detail, independent critical thinking, and decision-making abilities
- Experience in an academic oncology hospital setting
- Specimen Receiving/Handling
- Grossing/Specimen Processing
- Responsible for preparation of tissue for surgical specimen dissection, follow guidelines set for appropriate gross examination and submission for routine processing, and/or special procedures.
- Selection and preparation of tissue for intraoperative frozen section and/or touch imprint interpretation.
- Collaboration with Tissue Core personnel to procure research specimens.
- Evisceration and dissection of autopsy specimens.
- Consistently implements appropriate procedures used for tissue processing.
- Assist with teaching and orientation of Pathology residents to Surgical Pathology.
Credentials and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Life/Laboratory Sciences required; Master’s Degree in a Pathology program preferred.
- Minimum of three (3) years’ experience in the clinical laboratory setting as a Pathologist Assistant, knowledge of clinical laboratory processes and workflow, experience with laboratory information systems.
- ASCP within 6 months of hire date
- Note: Certification may be waived in lieu of >5 years’ experience in an oncology hospital setting
- Ability to problem solve and troubleshoot technical problems, work independently, and adapt positively to change.
- Must possess effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience in an academic oncology hospital setting preferred.
- Experience can be waived if graduated from an accredited Pathologist Assistant Program.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Moffitt Cancer Center is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, or protected veteran or disabled status. We seek candidates whose skills, and personal and professional experience, have prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.
Moffitt endeavors to make moffitt.org/careers accessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please contact one of the Human Resources receptionists by phone at 813-745-7899 or by email at HRReceptionists@moffitt.org. This contact information is for accommodation requests only and cannot be used to inquire about the status of applications.
If you’d like more information on your EEO rights under the law, please click here.