Postdoctoral Researcher - Cancer Research
- Tampa, FL
- Stabile Research Building (SRB)
- Cancer Physiology
- Full Time - Day Shift - varies
- Req #: 43077
At Moffitt Cancer Center, we come face-to-face with cancer every day, but we also see courage. And it inspires us to be the safest and best place for cancer care – to bring greater hope to every patient we serve. It’s why we’ve been continually named One of the Top Places to Work in the Tampa Bay Area. As the only National Cancer Institute-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center based in Florida, Moffitt employs some of the best and brightest minds from around the world. Moffitt is the leading cancer hospital in both Florida and the Southeast and has been nationally ranked by U.S. News & World Report since 1999. Because working at Moffitt is both a career and a mission: to contribute to the prevention and cure of cancer. Join a dedicated, diverse and inclusive team of over 7,000 to be a part of the Courageous future we envision.
We are recruiting postdoctoral researchers interested in developing novel spatial transcriptomic and metabolomic techniques for the study of melanoma metastasis and immunotherapy responses of aggressive skin cancers. The postdoctoral researcher will undertake two projects describe below:
Project 1: Studying the spatial distribution, functional status, and cellular composition of the tumor microenvironment as it relates to immunotherapy response in melanoma, cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma, and Merkel cell carcinoma. The goal is to identify drivers of therapeutic response and to ultimately derive novel targets to address immunotherapy resistance.
Project 2: Studying the role of metabolic heterogeneity and cross-talk in melanoma CNS metastases and drug resistance. This project will incorporate both basic and translational research, but overall aim to transform clinical care of late-stage melanoma patients.
Candidates will collaborate closely with a postdoctoral fellow in the Department of Bioinformatics and Biostatistics to develop innovative analysis platforms for spatial transcriptomic and metabolomic techniques for their work. They will also interact with a team of immunologists, tumor biologists, mathematical modeling experts and clinicians at Moffitt Cancer Center (Tampa, FL) to conduct research in a highly collaborative environment. Ideal candidates have demonstrated expertise in signal transduction, metabolism, drug resistance, metastasis or single-cell analysis studies.
• This is a prestigious NCI T32-supported training program position within the recently funded Integrated Program in Cancer and Data Science at Moffitt, bridging molecular biology and data science. https://moffitt.org/education/research-education-and-training/office-of-postdoctoral-affairs/training-grant-programs/integrated-program-in-cancer-and-data-science-icads/
• Studying the functionality of tumor heterogeneity, including metabolic symbiosis
• Improving our understanding of interactions between the tumor and the TME
• Developing cutting edge techniques for spatial RNAseq and metabolomics
• In addition to the research, the position will have a focus on career development including grant writing, scientific writing/presentation, mentorship of junior members of the lab, networking, and building collaborations.
• Co-mentorship by two NCI-funded investigators in a collaborative environment as part of a unique multidisciplinary T32 supported training program bridging molecular biology and bioinformatics.
• Working with patient specimens (acquisition, processing, preparation for analysis, biochemical screening), establishing and maintaining tumor cell cultures, cellular signaling and phenotypic assays, establishing in vivo models, metabolic assays, and proteomic analysis.
• Providing intellectual input on steering the project
• Developing novel technical approaches
• Mentoring graduate students and technicians
• Composing manuscripts and postdoctoral fellowships, assisting with grant applications
Credentials and qualifications:
• PhD in Cancer Biology, Molecular Biology, or a related field (required)
• Strong written and oral communication skills and the ability to work independently and with collaborators.
• Applicants must be U.S. Citizens or U.S. Legal Permanent Residents for this opportunity.
How to apply:
Candidates should e-mail the following documents to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org
1) A cover letter that describes their motivation to pursue this position, why they would be the perfect fit for these projects and summarizes past research accomplishments. They should also include a summary of what expectations/goals they have for this fellowship.
2) A current CV with recent publications and contact information for three references.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Moffitt Cancer Center is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, or protected veteran or disabled status. We seek candidates whose skills, and personal and professional experience, have prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. Moffitt endeavors to make moffitt.org/careers accessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please contact one of the Human Resources receptionists by phone at 813-745-7899 or by email at HRReceptionists@moffitt.org. This contact information is for accommodation requests only and cannot be used to inquire about the status of applications. If you’d like more information on your EEO rights under the law, please click here.